The Bay Head Chapel
About Us

For decades, people have come to Bay Head to have fun, relax and re-energize.  This includes reconnecting spiritually with God.

The Bay Head Chapel serves as wonderful place to worship and nuture our souls.


HISTORY

The historic Bay Head Chapel is currently in its 128th year.  The Chapel is a Protestant interdenominational church, which is affiliated with no national religious organization.   It provides a place of worship each Sunday morning from May through September for those who want to experience a traditional form of worship service.  We sincerely hope you, as a guest minister, will feel at home here.

 

The first Bay Head Chapel was located where Centennial Park is now situated, off of Bridge Avenue in the center of town near Borough Hall.  Services began in August 1889 and have continued ever since.  It is likely that the opening sermon was delivered by the Rev. Samuel M. Studdiford, who spoke at The Chapel many times in its early years.

 

In 1910 attendance had grown to the point where expansion was necessary.  Since additional land on the site was not available, The Chapel moved to its present location at Main and Bridge Avenues.  The Manse, which adjoins The Chapel property to the south, was a gift from the late James Smith, a long time Trustee.

 

The Chapel Annex was completed in 2003 and is in keeping with the architecture of The Chapel, both outside and inside.  It is a multi-functional facility:  church meetings are held there; child care is provided on Sunday mornings; and lavatory facilities are available.   It is also available to families prior to weddings and funerals for their special needs.  As a part of The Chapel’s on-going Outreach Program, the Annex can be used at no charge by non-profit organizations located in our area for meetings and other approved activities.

 
Sunday morning offerings are vitally important to our continuing ability to be a positive force within this community and its environs.  These funds support the ministry of The Chapel by enabling us to provide ministers and music for our services; operate and maintain The Chapel, the Annex and the Manse; and strengthen our community outreach efforts.  These efforts include contributing to worthy causes in Bay Head, Ocean County, New Jersey and beyond.  Offerings provide only about one third of the annual operating budget.  The Bay Head Chapel’s Endowment Fund covers the significant shortfall in the annual operating budget. It also serves as a needed reserve, a portion of which was used in the construction of The Chapel Annex.

 

Only highly recommended ministers are invited to serve as guest ministers for one or two weeks.  The guest minister manages one worship service and preaches a sermon at that service each Sunday morning that he/she is in residence.  While officially non-denominational, the Chapel follows a traditional Presbyterian order of worship.  The service starts at 9:45AM with special music, followed by the regular service starting at 10:00AM.  Dr. David Cotton, our Director of Pastoral Care, provides most other pastoral services throughout the entire year.   


Website Builder